Here’s a healthier take on a breakfast BLT: Sriracha Sesame Breakfast Tofu Sandwich. This plant-based (vegan) version relies on baked tofu, lettuce greens, and tomatoes. And the baked tofu has a spicy sriracha kick, along with the nutty flavor of toasted sesame seeds. If you make the tofu the day before you can whip up this hearty open-face breakfast sandwich in just a few minutes the next morning (or for that matter all week long).
This is one of my all time favorite weekend breakfasts. Thanks to the power of tofu, it’s very rich in protein and satisfying. Plus the addition of greens, tomatoes and whole grain bread really kicks it up a notch to provide a gorgeous medley of colors and flavors to greet your palate. Packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, this breakfast will contribute a landslide of nutrients to your day. Just think how much better off you’ll be without that typical artery-clogging American breakfast sandwich when you dine on this delicious meal!
Here’s a hint: You can also enjoy this easy meal for lunch with a bowl of yummy vegetable soup or for dinner with a hearty side salad or stew. Make it your new go-to plant-powered meal. If you’re gluten-free, just substitute gluten-free bread and you’re good to go. With only 9 ingredients, this recipe takes only 15 minutes to make too.
Learn how to make this easy, 15-minute, healthy, vegan Sriracha Sesame Breakfast Tofu Sandwich for your next delicious weekend breakfast.
- 1 (15-ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (may decrease or increase according to spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 slices of tomato
- 1/3 cup baby lettuce leaves
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Drain tofu and slice in half lengthwise, and in half crosswise, to create 4 rectangular pieces. Place in a small baking dish.
- Mix together soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sriracha sauce, and sesame seeds. Drizzle over tofu.
- Place tofu on top rack of oven and cook for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- While tofu is baking, place bread slices on a small baking sheet and place in oven to toast for 3-5 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- To arrange sandwiches, place one toast on a serving dish, layer with one-fourth of the lettuce leaves, 1 slice of baked tofu, and top with 1 slice tomato. Repeat to make 4 open face sandwiches.
- Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings (1 open-face sandwich each).
Bake the tofu the day before and refrigerate until the next morning to make this recipe in minutes. Simply pop the bread slices in the toaster and serve tofu warm or cold with the tomatoes and lettuce leaves on the breakfast sandwich.
Make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free soy sauce, and gluten-free bread.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 283 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: breakfast, breakfast sandwich, tofu recipe, best breakfast sandwich
For other tofu recipes, check out some of my favorites:
Tofu Mushroom Tacos
Scrambled Turmeric Tofu with Greens
Savory Steel Cut Oats with Spinach, Mushrooms and Tofu
Tofu Kale Power Bowl with Tahini Dressing
Asparagus Dill Tofu Quiche
Grilled Spicy Sesame Tofu
To learn how to press tofu, check out my blog at The Plant-Powered Dietitian.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.