One of my favorite food memories while traveling was my trip to Pantelleria, in the Sicilian Islands of Italy. I fell in love with the authentic Mediterranean flavors of this rustic food tradition, which features many plant foods grown locally on the island, including the ingredients for this recipe for Pantescan Potato Salad. This simple potato salad, infused with the flavors of olives and capers, is served at almost every meal in Pantelleira. The heart-healthy fats found in extra virgin olive oil are a key feature of the Mediterranean diet and provide a mountain of health benefits. You can celebrate these healthful flavors at home with this easy vegan, gluten-free recipe you can prepare with 7 ingredients (not including pantry staples) in about 30 minutes.
This classic, traditional potato salad hails from Pantelleria in the Sicilian Islands of Italy. You can make this delicious, healthy, Mediterranean-style recipe in about 30 minutes with only 7 ingredients.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 4 large tomatoes, slices into wedges
- ½ medium red or sweet onion, halved and sliced into rings
- ½ cup Sicilian olives, drained (see notes)
- 1 ½ tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- Pinch salt (if desired)
- Place the potatoes and water in a pot, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until tender but firm, about 25 minutes. Drain, remove, and let cool.
- Slice the potatoes into large chunks and place them in a large bowl with the tomatoes, onions, olives, and capers. Toss together.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar and add the oregano. Toss to combine well. Serve immediately. (This salad is good served at room temperature or chilled.)
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: vegan salad, easy vegan salad, healthy vegan salad, vegan potato salad, pantescan potato salad
For more hearty salad recipes, check out some of my favorites:
Read more about traveling in Sicily in my blog here.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.