Hop onto the cauliflower taco train with my super simple recipe for plant-based Easy Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos, which rely upon a few essential ingredients. All you have to do is toss together a can of chickpeas, crumbled cauliflower, seasonings, EVOO, and lemon juice; pop it in the oven to roast, and while it’s cooking, get your toppings assembled and your cashew crema blended. This one-dish meal can fit everyone’s food preferences, as you can build your taco just the way you like them. These Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos are also a great recipe for meal prep—make a batch and build tacos to enjoy the next day. And, this recipe is the perfect highlight for your next party! Colorful, light, and delicious, it’s sure to please everyone at your table. Learn how to make homemade corn tortillas for this recipe here.
Watch how to make this recipe here.
These plant-based, gluten-free tacos are filled with roasted spicy cauliflower and chickpeas and fresh veggies, with a rich cashew crema topping—you can get the whole meal on the table in 45 minutes.
Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Taco Filling:
- 1 medium (about 2 pounds) head cauliflower, broken apart into small florets (about 3 ½) cups)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes*
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- About ½ cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- Salt (as desired, optional)
- 10 small corn tortillas
- 2 ½ cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 20 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 stalks green onion, sliced
- Place raw cashews (for the cashew crema) in a dish, cover with water, and soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Roasted Cauliflower Chickpea Taco Filling: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place cauliflower florets and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt (optional), and combine well. Spread into a baking sheet, and place in oven. Roast for about 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, assemble toppings and the base to make the tacos. You can prepare the tacos individually, or place all of the toppings on a serving platter for people to prepare their own tacos. Heat the tortillas in the hot oven for about 3 minutes to soften.
- To make Cashew Crema: After the cashews have softened for 30 minutes, drain off the water and add cashews, along with the lemon juice, garlic, white pepper to a small blender container. Add ¼ cup of the plant-based milk, and process the cashew crema until smooth. Add additional plant-based milk as needed to create a smooth, creamy texture. If desired, season with a pinch of salt (optional). Transfer to serving dish. Makes about 2 ¼ cups.
- To prepare tacos: layer tortillas with ¼ cup cabbage, ½ cup cauliflower and chickpeas filling, 2 slices avocado, 4 cherry tomato halves, 3 tablespoons cashew crema, and garnish with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 tablespoon green onions.
- Makes 10 tacos
May serve all fillings and toppings in individual serving dishes and let guests build their own tacos.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 143 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 11 g
Keywords: vegan cauliflower tacos, cauliflower tacos
For other plant-based taco recipes, check out the following:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.