This chocolate peanut butter smoothie is made with healthy ingredients but tastes like a milkshake! Ideal for mornings or a sweet treat.
Need a healthy sweet treat? Try the Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie: made with good-for-you ingredients but tastes like a milk shake! We can’t resist smoothies that taste like dessert, like our Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie and Peanut Butter Smoothie. Put them together and you’ve got this one! It’s rich and chocolaty, but made with bananas, oats and honey. Blend it up for busy mornings or afternoons where you need a quick pick-me-up: it even doubles as a healthy dessert!
Ingredients in this chocolate peanut butter smoothie
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie relies on just a few good-for-you ingredients to make magic in the blender. Make it with milk or the non-dairy milk of your choosing. You can even make it with coffee (more on that below!). Here’s a run-down of the easy ingredients you’ll need:
- Frozen bananas: This is the only step you’ll need to do in advance! Slice and freeze them on a baking sheet for at least 1 ½ hours. Or you can buy frozen bananas!
- Old Fashioned oats
- Cocoa powder or Dutch process (dark) cocoa powder: we prefer dark; more on that below
- Peanut butter
- Milk of choice (dairy, oat, or almond milk) or coffee: coffee adds a fun variation, much like this Coffee Smoothie! You can also add half milk, half strong coffee or espresso.
- Honey or maple syrup
Dutch process vs standard cocoa powder
Use whatever cocoa powder you have on hand for this chocolate peanut butter smoothie. But we like it best with Dutch process cocoa powder, aka dark cocoa powder! This type has been treated with an alkali to make it pH neutral, which gives it a darker color and milder flavor. It makes the flavor ultra chocolaty: which we love!
Step it up with shaved chocolate
Serving this chocolate peanut butter smoothie as a treat? Top it with a sprinkle of dark chocolate! You only need about 1 tablespoon, and when you stir it in it makes for tasty chocolate chunks in each sip. It’s optional, but a fun way to take it up a notch! Then add a drizzle of peanut butter to take it over the top.
Ways to add more protein
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie has a decent amount of protein from the peanut butter, but we’ve tried to use just enough to get great flavor without loading on calories. Here are a few other options for adding protein:
- Chia seeds. You can add plant-based protein and fiber with chia seeds: 2 tablespoons chia seeds adds 4 grams protein and 11 grams fiber.
- Vanilla or chocolate protein powder: Protein powder works well too! We use this protein powder that has natural ingredients and a flavor that’s not too artificial. Just remember to dial back the maple syrup or honey, because protein powder adds sweetness.
More sweet smoothie recipes
Looking for more smoothies that taste like a treat? Here are a few more you might enjoy:
This chocolate peanut butter smoothie recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free and gluten-free.
- 2 medium frozen bananas (sliced and frozen on a baking sheet for at least 1 1/2 hours)
- ¼ cup Old Fashioned oats
- ¼ cup cocoa powder or Dutch process (dark) cocoa powder (we prefer dark)
- 1 ½ tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 cup milk of choice (dairy, oat, or almond milk) or coffee*
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- ¾ cup ice
- For the garnish: 1 sprinkle chopped dark chocolate (optional), 1 drizzle of peanut butter
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until creamy and frothy, stopping and scraping down the sides as necessary. Resist the urge to over blend: blend until it just comes together. Taste and add the additional ½ tablespoon sweetener depending on the sweetness of the bananas.
- If desired, top with 1 tablespoon chopped dark chocolate (it makes for a nice mix in but it’s totally optional). Serve immediately or store in a covered jar in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Smoothie
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Chocolate peanut butter smoothie, chocolate smoothie, chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie, healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie